Friday, October 27, 2006

The Westernization of Yichang

A few weeks ago, one of the largest and most expensive shopping malls in Yichang opened up. This place is called JuneYao. The Yichang 4 actually went to the opening. It was the right thing to do since Brad and Beth were confused for investors. (They went to the construction sight weeks earlier and the people there handed them information packets and other knick-knacks because, we think, the workers confused them for investors.) The grand opening was quite a spectacle. There was a ribbon, dragons, and among other things. My favorite had to be the male and female models who were all dressed alike and had that "What am I doing here?" attitude written across their faces.

Besides all the bacchanalia, the greatest thing about this open was the newly constructed PIZZA HUT on the 1st floor!!!! It opened while we were in Beijing but we came back to enjoy the wonderful, greasy, fried, cheesy, fattening taste of the Pizza Hut pizza. You can see the ecstasy on my face. So far, I can find everything in China that I want. (Of course, I am not really searching for all things western.) Yichang will truly be westernized when they get a TacoBell. Next time you eat at TacoBell, eat for me a grilled stuft burrito with no onions, a beef chalupa supreme, and a been burrito with no onions.

No comments: