Thursday, October 12, 2006

Beijing Series Part 1

So after a long and crazy week I finally have something to say. Unfortunately, it will take more than one entry to describe my October Vacation. This is the first entry of the series. Check back in the future for more.

We finally got tickets after 4 days of searching. We were told that all tickets were sold out the Monday before we left. However, 2 days later, we heard they had tickets. Everything here in China seems to be based on who you know. My friends, Kim and Katie, were able to find us tickets. Maybe the travel agent liked them because they spoke a lot of Chinese.

We left of Friday evening by train for Beijing. My first experience on a train was horrific. It was the Amtrak ride from Orlando to D.C. with my classmates in 8th or 9th grade. (I can't remember.) I was in a cabin with several other Chinese travelers. There were 2 walls that had 3 beds on each wall. Mine was the very top. I really liked being up there. No, really, I did. The cabin was supposed to hold 6 but I am pretty sure there were 8 people in my cabin. I am glad no one slept with me in my bed. Those things were small.

My cabin mates were 2 little girls (7 and 9 years old). The other people were their many family members. Below is a pic of the 2 girls. We got along great. Unfortunately, we couldn't communicate because of the language barrier but we played and laughed and practiced Chinese and English. It was a blast. Also, let them play with my camara. I suppose the pic below is something they took while I was asleep. I should have concealed my camara better. They had fun though.We arrived in Beijing after 20 something hours of travel. Travelling by train is by far the coolest way to travel. Our train had beds, bathrooms, dining cars, psuedo-room service, and friendly people.
After our arrival, we set out for this cool restaurant in the hutongs. There we had Beijing Duck. It was mei wei (delicious)! We decided that if Beijing Duck wasn't so expensive we would eat it everyday. At this restaurant, you take your pieces of duck and wrap them in little tortillas and dip them in a strange sauce. It was perfect. Apparently, many other people think that too. We found a wall there with pictures of Al Gore, ambassadors from all over the place, and even prime ministers.

Oh, and I met my great Aunt Judi for the first time. She started off her vacation in China with a stop in Beijing. It was fun to meet her. I've never met her before but it wasn't awkward at all. Anyway, my mom sent a package of amazing goodies and a family photo album. I couldn't have felt any better that night.

Check in soon for the next part of the Beijing Series.

No comments: