Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First Class Ever...




Today, I taught my first university class ever. It was such a neat experience. I had 28 students this morning. All of them French majors. This, of course, would pose no problem except that I am teaching Oral English!!! Actually, it wasn't too much of a problem. Most of them spoke English very well. English would be their 3rd language right after Chinese and French. Amazing. I wish language learning was stressed in America.

The students really enjoyed my dramatic reenactment of speechmakers who don't know how to give speeches. My first example was the really shaky speechmaker. My second example was the one who comes in and looks straight down at his notes. I didn't know that I could make people laugh that hard. I won't let it go to my head though. They were probably laughing out of embarrassment for me. That is why the classroom picture above has no students in it. They left after the first class period and never came back.

Just kidding. Class is two 45 minute periods with a 10 minute break. After the break, I had each one stand up and tell the class about themselves. They did pretty well. The students talked about everything from relationships and sports to dream jobs and summer vacations. This generation of Chinese is very open and talkative. I am glad. It makes my job a lot easier.

Until next time, long live San Xia Da Xue! Really? No, not really.

No comments: