Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Progress...

and other stories.

It has been a few weeks since I last blogged. For those of you still reading, I appreciate your dedication. I don't know what I would do if I lost 50% of my fan base. I know grandma reads every now and then but you mom, you cannot quit reading even if you have to read the same articles over and over again. Ha ha. Just kidding. I would give up on me too. I suppose if my brother starts reading he might double my present fan base and learn what good writing looks like. Seriously, send me your papers in the future. I will see what I can do.

Last week was the first full week of school. It was a pretty good easy week. I did intro stuff and finished unit 1 of the textbooks in my Oral English classes. English majors are so nice. I just have to stay on my toes if I am going to keep them motivated to listen to me. They will only respect me as long as I keep them intrigued by me and the English language. If not, they will realize their English is good enough that what I am doing isn't really academic so much as nit picky. "No! You pronounce S-M-I-T-H and smm...iii..th. Mr. Smiss is incorrect. Oh, and company is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable." Does it really matter which syllable is emphasized? I suppose it does to most people but as long as I can understand you, I think you are doing a good job communicating. But this opinion is coming from 1 of 2 people who apparently have communication issues. I think my Dad is wrong. Right, Mom? I suppose he can make it up to us by paying for my master's degree.

English Corner began last week. If you have read Beth's blog you will already know this; if you haven't, then I have the pleasure of telling you that I danced last week with Beth. You see, Beth came over to make me sing to my students even though they wanted her to sing. I said no so the students threw out an alternative - "Dance!" They cheered as Beth was trying to make her getaway. Well, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to give her a taste of her own medicine. (Really, Beth. I am not bitter. I loved it.) I said, "Alright, let's dance. Come here Beth!" So we danced. The one thing I forgot in my rash decision was that dancing requires music. In the end I had to sing. However, singing a Waltz is pretty cool when you make it up as you go. It was refreshing to perform once again...but if you are a Chinese student clever enough to see a blog blocked in China, then know this: I hate performing.

The pictures below are things in my continuing slow decoration and presentation of my apartment: new bed spread and a refrigerator full of veggies. My dream. Really.


1 comment:

Sarah Blanshan said...

I still check to see if you've posted anything new!

Do you really hate performing? I would have thought you liked it...

Miss you lots!