Thursday, September 06, 2007

New Beginnings...

and some waiting.

A week ago today, I finally arrived back in Yichang with my friends. As I stood at the bus station packing the van which would transport us to the university, I enjoyed the light sprinkle of rain on my face, the scent of construction in the air, and the fear of eating pork tainted by some disease. Oh, it felt good to be back in China.

We arrived on campus in the middle of a rain shower so moving our things into our new apartments posed some problems but eventually the rain abated. Plus, several of our student friends join us in the moving process. Their alacrity was overwhelming. I probably could have just sat on the couch and watched the shifting of houses and the students would not have cared one bit.

I moved most of my stuff into my apartment on Saturday morning with the help of some students. Then I just laid around figuring out why I had brought so much stuff to China that I don't even use. I mean, what I am going to do with 20 piano books? Anyway, I am settled in now. I just have some decorating to do. I can't wait!

This week, I had 1 class. It was nice having the free time to catch up on sleep and the students' lives. It was also good for class planning. However, I wasn't so successful at that. It is now Friday, and I barely have any classes planned. Why can't I be like Beth and get my whole semester planned? Why?

Well, that is the overview of this last week. Future posts should be more interesting. I am really just using this post to figure out my blog once again. Sometimes it is in German and sometimes in Chinese. Proxy servers. Why can't I choose which countries they go through? Oh well, at least I have access to contraband websites and such. (And by contraband, I only mean sites blocked by the Chinese government like my blog. I like being considered an insurgent.) Below are pics of my apartment as of now. Hopefully, it will be more colorful soon. Ciao!





1 comment:

Sarah Blanshan said...

Hello, dear friend! Sorry we didn't get to catch up more while you were stateside. Your new apartment looks fun. Maybe it's just because I know you live there.