Monday, August 28, 2006

Shopping...

Yesterday we went shopping at the mall. This place was amazing. We pulled up after our terrifying ride in a taxi and stepped out onto the dusty street in front of a what might be a 7 story building. We stepped into a world of chaos and modernization. I was amazed at all the stuff this place had. If I had had time, I would have bought a lot of things here instead of buying it in the US. Apparently, this mall is for the second richest class of citizens. The mall for the richest is elsewhere and I have heard that if you are poorer than the richest you can't even get in.

I am glad that we had this shopping experience. It showed me that the price level is pretty much the same as the US for most durable goods, i.e., electronics, bedding, etc. However, after having 2 meals, the price level for food is way different. A group of 6 of us ate a meal too large to finish for about 38 kuai. This is about 4 US dollars. Also, our shopping experience was led by 2 other Americans who have been here several years. They helped us get better acquainted with the culture. After the tour of the city they gave us, my friends and I felt so much better about being here.

Until then, pray that I don't get eaten by the cougar that I thought I saw last night.

No comments: