Saturday, December 06, 2008

Katera's Coming to Town...

Well, the truth is that Santa is coming to town and Katera has already graced Shanghai with her presence.

Katera came to see me near the beginning of November. It was so good to finally catch up with her in another country. I didn't know what to do at first. I mean, how to be a good host. Turns out things worked out really wow. I have seen a lot of the touristy stuff in Shanghai and because I had to work 2 of the days she was here, she got to do that. Unfortunately for her, she got to see the Shanghai that people come to hate - rainy Shanghai. To be honest, I have loved Shanghai's weather until the last 2 days. Starting Oct 1 or so the weather was perfect - sunny and comfortable. The last 2 days it has been hovering around freezing. If I am not in the office, I am basically a popsicle. Anyway, it hadn't rained very much until she came, then it poured for a few days straight. After work, I was forced to meet her beat down look for dinner. Actually, she was surprisingly relaxed even after 2 days of rain.

While she was here, we discovered an area near my house - Hong Mei Road. This road is basically heaven for me. It has a walking street with restaurants of every fare - Greek, Mexican, Indian, French, and many others. There is even an Iranian restaurant. I might try that soon. Another cool thing I discovered (other China friends don't hate me, please) is that all these restaurants deliver. So now, I live next to a hospital, my office, an incredible mall with DQ, Starbucks, Papa John's, McD's, KFC AND there are western restaurants galore and a store that is better than Carrefour which carries everything I could ever need if I was living in America. Unfortunately, my salary can't keep up with my wants...but can anybodies? Oh, have I mentioned that KFC and McD's delivers too? Come to think of it, Starbucks delivered too for a while but only after morning rush. So, Katera and I indulged in our favorite foods.

The Sat and Sun she was here, we walked around different shopping areas, looked for French chocolate for her friends...which I don't think we found so I am missing that here in Shanghai. One of the nights we wanted to go see an acrobatic show. I thought we left with enough time but since it was raining no taxi wanted to pick us up. So we walked towards the acrobatic theater for 2 hours and never got there. We gave up and went back to watch episodes of some of our favorite shows. I know her trip to Shanghai wasn't as incredible as it could have been but it was good to have a friend to just watch TV with for a little while. Hopefully she will come back in the spring and I will give her a better tour of Shanghai.

Anyway, enjoy some of the pictures that I have included. Thanksgiving pics are coming soon! Tomorrow?





No comments: