Sunday, October 19, 2008

Randomness

So since I have been here I have seen a few things that humor me so I thought I would share them with you.

The first picture is of a birthday cake. This is a Chinese stye birthday cake. I have eaten my share of these. Not exactly like this one but I have. When I lived in Yichang I would go to the cake store and buy a cake, sit down and eat the whole thing while watching House, MD or some movie. I have to admit that they aren't my favorite cakes but they do the trick. This one is just huge. It was for a student's birthday. Look closely. It is covered with fruit. It doesn't taste bad but nothing can beat mounds of extra icing shaped into flowers or racecars or cakes that are made out of ice cream like this one I bought a few weeks ago. Mmm, Dairy Queen.


One time I was shopping, there was a man playing the sax on a balcony over Nanjing Pedestrian Street where all the shopping and tourist activities usually occur. This was a nice break from walking that long mile of the black head sea. Shanghai is very big and there are many people hear. All of them have black hair except the occasional purple haired boy or the baldy. It was also a nice break from those people that run up to you and ask "You want cheap watch? iPhone? Polo shirt? Looky looky. Cheap. Don't buy? That's ok. Just looky. Sports shoes? No? Lady massage? Nice beauti..." Well you get the picture.

Another place that got my attention was the Coca Cola Bar. Look at this. It is merely a place where you go to drink coke. Its pretty nice for the Coca Cola company. Probably why they're sales and profits are expanding faster in this country than basically anywhere else in the world. Well, actually, the reason could be this. Chinese guys like to play basketball. There are lots of Chinese guys. They like to drink coke but only because they think all the famous athletes drink it while they play sports. They usually don't like sweet things. They don't like western candy and chocolate. Argh. Why am I friends with them? Anyway, that's true right? Athletes drink soda. You've seen it in the commercials, haven't you? I've experienced it first hand on the rare occasion I played basketball with my students. I've also experienced red bull and snickers as a half-time snack but I think I have covered that before. Anyway, millions of basketball playing chinese guys, a society obsessed with all things western, misleading commercials, ergo, Coca Cola makes millions. Brilliant.

And the last picture of Randomness for today is a yurt. Have you ever seen one of these in real life? Maybe you have if you have been to Mongolia. I have never seen one until I moved to Shanghai. Guess where this thing is? That's right, it it the annex for the place where I work. How crazy is that? I wonder if what I have seen on the inside is like inside of a real yurt. I don't know that anyone knows why the yurt was chosen as the additional building but it was. And it serves its purpose well. Needing to expand? Consider a yurt - with a glass corridor.

Well until next time, looky looky!

No comments: