Saturday, October 20, 2007

Whoa!!!

Cultural discussions are always a blast with the students. Discussion outside the classroom is very good for both me and the students. The students tend to speak more; therefore, I learn more and they practice more. It is a win-win situation. However, I love discussions inside the classroom because that saying "There is power in numbers" rings very true - for my enjoyment. If we are talking in class about something that shocks them, the gasp made by 30 people is just hilarious. More about this later.

The students seem to know a lot about Western culture. Of course, many of their ideas are way off the mark. For example, at English corner last year, both Brad and I were asked if everyone had personal jets. I wish. Now, this is only one example. I am sure there are many more but you get my point. They have ideas about our culture; they just want us to shed some light on some of their confusions. Anyway, I do wish that there were more books out there on modern Chinese society so that I could understand the mainstream Chinese people. I have several good Chinese friends but the closest ones can hardly be representative of the population. (In my opinion, this is the case.)

Anyway, cultural discussions this last week included health and fitness. I let the students discuss Chinese people's obsession with health and fitness then I had them compare similarities and differences with American people's obsession. Naturally, they think American's are fatter. Probably on average our bodies have a larger size but you know that blanket statements don't paint a correct picture. So, in my intrigue I asked my students how much I should weigh. They said 60 kg. I told them I weigh 80 kg. Every single student gasped. There was no air left in the classroom. In response, I asked them if I looked fat and they said no. Now, you may think they were being polite and said no but in some weird irony, Chinese people, the people who can't say many things directly, will tell you when you are fat. So, I believe them. I don't think I look fat. "Well then, why should I weigh 60 kg?" No response.

As skinny as Chinese people are, it is amazing how obsessed they are with losing weight or staying thin. Girls especially think this way and they are especially thin. It is kind of sad that they feel like they should lose weight. I tried my best at a PSA for accepting yourself and they way you look but I don't think it will take.

My main reason for writing is that they students said there are all kinds of weight loss pills in China. As I entered a pharmacy the other day, I noticed a whole shelf of them - all natural ingredients. I wondered for just a minute if it would hurt to take some but that was soon over. English translations of titles can really change peoples minds on things. The one particular weight loss pill that caught my eye was called "Fat Incendiary Bomb". If only my Chinese friends knew enough English to really enjoy the ridiculousity of that translation. I know you do. If you want some, let me know!

No comments: